Experience Christmas this year
This year I am really passionate about encouraging people to consider gifting their friends and family with experience gifts. Now I know this isn’t always possible, for example your child’s teacher probably doesn’t want to go to the movies with you, but for our nearest and dearest the options are only limited by your imagination.
If you still aren’t convinced about the idea of an experience gift, a survey by peer-to-peer lender SocietyOne has found Australian shoppers will spend more than $48.1 billion in retail stores over the Christmas trading period, more than half of which will be spent on credit or store cards. I am sure most of your family and friends do not want you going into debt just so they can receive a gift on Christmas Day.
What about this for a statistic, an Australian survey by McCrindle Research has shown that 78.5% of Australians have received a present that they didn’t want.
With an experience gift you are actually sharing something that is much more valuable than money, you are investing and sharing your time, arguably one of our most valuable assets. Here are some ideas to get you started:
- There are some great concerts happening in Brisbane in 2017, plan ahead and gift a ticket
- Brisbane Entertainment Centre or QPAC always have a variety of live shows, look at the program for 2017 and plan a weekend getaway
- Movie inemas offers movie vouchers, this is a great practical gift and you can go and see a great movie with your friend
- If you are heading the coast for holidays plan to go on a dolphin or sunset cruise
- Get creative and plan and prepare a bunch of vouchers for picnics, breakfast in bed, doing the washing etc that can be redeemed throughout the year
- Gift vouchers for a massage or deluxe facial or manicure or any other sort of divine pampering and relaxation are always much appreciated.
If you have considered everything and you simply can’t gift an experience to everybody at Christmas this year, some other great tips to minimise your debt and lessen damage to the environment include:
- Purchase hand made products from local artisans
- Buy Fair Trade products from certified organisations
- Purchase ethically produced, biodegradable gifts from local shops so your money goes into supporting the local economy
- Stay within your budget, don’t go into excessive debt
- Google handmade Christmas gifts, you will be blown away by all the things you can make yourself
Most importantly when you are with your friends and family over Christmas be completely present. Time is like a river. You can not touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again. Enjoy every moment in life.
Sending you all the very best of Christmas joy and love